Friday, September 12, 2008

Anthem

This is probably one of my favorite books. I loved the way it was set and the Utopian society the author created. It made me realize how fortunate I really am to have the freedom of saying "I" and the freedom of being me, an individual. My favorite symbol is the most obvious one, the light bulb the narrator discovers and creates. With the discovery of that light bulb, he found knowledge, and the wisdom that he needed. With that discovery he fully broke away from his society of no ones and become himself, he became someone. The elders did not like his invention because he was the only one to create it and he was the only one who took part in it. He could not realize why they felt that way which meant we could no longer understand why they did anything, or rather, do nothing.



My favorite quote is on page 86 when the Golden One says, "We love you" to the narrator. She then realizes that she did not want to say we, she wanted to say love you to just the narrator from herself, not the we of society. And when she realizes this, she and the narrator are broken and hurt like the narrator said, "And we felt torn, torn for some word we could not find." This part makes me feel such pity and sorrow for them because I do not know what I would do if I could not say I love you to somebody when I really wanted to and mean it.
This quote also helped me realize that they did not even know what it was like to feel something for themselves. They have been trained since birth that everything was for everybody and no body was allowed to be different or feel different.

This novella was probably the best one I have ever read. I loved the development of the story and the development of the characters and the plot. It was written amazingly well and using such simple language made such a deep meaning and impact.

1 comment:

Wrestler130 said...

I would have to agree with you that this was one of the best books we have read up to this point. I loved everything about it: the development of the characters, the fact that it was easy to understand, the storyline, and the underlining meaning that the novel presented.
The symbol that I chose to analyze was also the light bulb. As you said it was the most obvious and also the most important. I completely agree with you on the fact that the lightbulb truly enlightened Equality and served as the catalyst for his breaking free from the chains of the oppressive society. You are right with the fact that from the moment of his discovery on, he was a changed man, he was truly different and his entire purpose became the discovery of the mysteries of the unknown and banished.
The quote you chose was also may favorite. In one line, it really embodied the way in which society has restricted the rights of these people. You are right, it really does make you think what kind of a world we would have if you could not express your feelings and emotions to others. What if you could not tell someone you loved that, "I love you"? It truly would hurt and ache inside to know that there is another word instead of "we" but search as you might you cannot find it, because its knowledge has all but been wiped out.